The Types of Information We Collect
Information You Give Us
To enable you to enjoy certain features of our Services, we collect certain types of information,
including personally identifiable information. For example, we collect information when you:
• Sign up to receive email newsletters. We maintain that information securely on our servers. It is not sold or used for advertising or to put you on other email marketing lists.
• Register as a member. When you join Travelers United, we ask you to provide certain information, which may include your email address, home address, birth year, gender, health conditions, credit card number and zip code, as well as a password for your account.
• Engage in public activities on forums or make comments. We offer you opportunities to engage in public activities on the Services that are designed to be visible to other users and the public at large, including comments, forums, recommendations, reader reviews, ratings or any other items that you submit. Any
information you disclose in your public activities, along with your screen name or ID, or any image or photo, becomes public. We will not use this for commercial online and offline promotional. However, information you submit is not private or confidential, nor is it protected by attorney-client, doctor-patient, or any other privilege and it might be read, collected and used by others, including through third party search engines which may index the information you post. You therefore should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there might be read, collected, or used by other users of these areas, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages, mine your data, communicate with or market to you in other ways. We are not responsible for safeguarding the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums and Travelers United has no responsibility to publish, take down, remove or edit any of your public activities or any of your submissions that are a result of your public activities. For more information, see the TravelersUnited.org User Agreement.
• Provide Us Your Credit Card and Billing Information. To enable payment for certain Services, we or a service or payment provider acting on our behalf may collect and store billing and credit card information.
• Contests, Sweepstakes and Special Offers. We may sponsor contests, sweepstakes, or promote special offers on TravelersUnited.org or on third party websites.
If you elect to participate, we may require personal information from you, including, in most cases, your first and last name and email
INFORMATION WE COLLECT USING TECHNOLOGY
• Device Information. We may collect information about the browser, computer, mobile phone, smartphone or other device you use to access the Travelers United websites and associated websites to measure the effectiveness of those Services.
• IP Addresses. We log Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, or the location of your computer on the Internet, for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes. We use this information in an aggregate fashion to track access to our service (websites and mobile applications), and may also use it to infer
your location, as also discussed in the below section titled “Geolocation Data.”
• Geolocation Data. For certain mobile applications we offer or may offer in the future, we may (or may enable a third party, including a supporter to) request your geolocation information in order to provide you functionality. If you agree to such collection, we (or the third party) may maintain information regarding your precise geolocation including over time and may use it to help enable that functionality, or other functionality we describe to you in connection with the mobile application or website.
• Analytics. We may use third parties to provide us information, reports and analysis about the usage and browsing patterns of users. These reports contain aggregated or anonymous data only, and do not identify individual users to TravelersUnited.org.
• Log Files. We may also automatically log certain information about your use of our services. This information includes a reading history of the pages you view and a record of the sites from which you clicked on a link to visit ours.
Cookies, Web Beacons, and Similar Technologies
Like many websites, and web and mobile services, we may use (or work with third party partners who use) a variety of technologies to learn more about how people interact with our services. This section provides more information about some of those technologies and how they work.
• Cookies. Cookies are small files that websites and other online services use to store information about users on the users’ own computers. Cookies can be used to store sign-in credentials so that you don’t have to enter them each time you return to a website, or to store other information to make web viewing more customized or efficient upon future visits. Cookies also may store a unique identifier tied to your computer so that web services and advertising networks can recognize you across visits to different websites. You can configure your Internet browser to warn you each time a cookie is being sent or to refuse all or certain cookies completely.
We (or our partners) may use or support cookies for purposes including the following:
• To collect information about your browsing activities in order to deliver customized or relevant services or content to you (including regarding our own products and content), when you browse our Website or other websites or open the emails we send you;
• To relate the information collected by cookies to information we obtain from you directly;
• Web Beacons. We (or our partners) may use technologies called web beacons that communicate information from your Internet browser to a web server. Web beacons can be embedded in web pages, videos, or emails, and can allow a web server to read certain types of information from your browser, check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed the web beacon, the IP address of your computer, and the URL of the web page from which the web beacon was viewed. These web beacons may be used for a variety of purposes, including to analyze the use of the Services and in conjunction with cookies to provide content and ads that are more relevant to you.
How We May Use and Share the Information We Collect
• Providing the Services You Request
• Statistical Analysis
We use the information, including analytics and statistical information, to analyze the use of our services so that we may improve them. We also use this information to generally inform advertisers about the nature of our user base.
• Customizing Your Experience
We may use this information to customize certain features of the Services to provide you with an enhanced experience based on information such as the type of device you are using to access the Services, your activities on the services, or your location or geo-location. We may also use this information to provide you with services you have requested.
• Service Providers
We may contract with other companies that provide services to us, including credit-card and billing processors, survey administrators, technical or customer support, shipping, e-mail distribution, email service providers, data enhancement and information or analytics providers, list processing and promotions management. Sometimes, we may provide to these service providers aggregate or anonymized information about how users interact with our Services (or other information provided to us by users), which may help them enhance their own products, data or analytics.
Information Collected by Third-Parties and Your Ad & Cookie Choices
Travelers United, Inc. does not sell its membership information to third parties. Affiliated websites may engage in advertising and associated tracking. Such activities will be covered in the privacy policies of those websites.
Other Privacy Considerations
Information from Children Under 13
We do not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children under 13. If we determine that a user is under 13, we will delete all personally identifiable information collected from that user.
Information from Users Outside of the United States
Your California Privacy Rights
Under the California “Shine The Light” law, California residents may opt-out of the disclosure of personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes (as those concepts are defined in that law) However, we do not currently engage in the type of sharing covered by that law.
Compliance With Legal Process
We may disclose personal information (1) if we believe such sharing is appropriate to comply with the law or with legal process; (2) to protect and defend our rights, services or property; (3) to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Services; or (4) to protect the safety or property of our users or any member of the public (among other things, this means that if we believe you have provided false information or attempted to pose as someone else, information about you may be disclosed as part of any investigation into your actions).
Travelers United, Inc.
PO Box 9934
Arlington, VA 22219